Saturday, February 26, 2011

If you want something, earn it yourself.

Today my mom bought me a book called the 1001 Things Every College Student Needs to Know. When I was flipping through the pages, I saw this, "you need to know your parents are destroying their 401(k)s to send you to school. If you come home whining about how hard college is and how bad you need a vacation, they will just look at you and turn the sound up on Law and Order." Then she was telling me about someone we know is whining about how everyone but her has a good ___. (I won't say what that is, just in case the person is here). Well, let's say it's a computer.

She was complaining how bad her life is because she has no respect from others and people look down at her. She thinks is because her "computer" is so much worse than the other people's. Then I thought to myself, her "computer" is brand new and her parents probably had to work so hard for that, how could she complain about such thing? I also thought to myself, maybe she should realize that her friend's are not adoring her because of her personality, not her properties. People won't think she's awesome because she owns a macbook instead of a dell laptop. On the other hand, if she had earn her own money and bought the dell laptop herself, then she deserves some respect for her achievement. If she had appreciate her parents for the dell laptop and make productive use of it, then she deserves some respect for her good personality. If I can, I really want her to know, if you want respect, earn it, not buying it. If you want a luxury object, then buy it with your own money, not your parent's. Too bad I can't find a way to tell her without her getting mad, so I hope one day she'll stop by and let this post change her.

"When you're a beautiful person on the inside, there is nothing in the world that can change that about you. Jealousy is the result of one's lack of self-confidence, self-worth, and self-acceptance.”  -- Sasha Azevedo


"There are no short cuts to any place worth going." -- Beverly Sills

No comments:

Post a Comment